The Process


Your First Rental

Congratulations on your decision to look for a home to rent. If this is the first property you have rented you may be wondering exactly what you need to prepare before moving in. Below, we highlight some of the information and documentation you should receive and complete prior to moving in:

  • Tenancy application form: A tenancy application needs to be completed and signed before moving in, and will require references from you as well. A reference can come from a previous landlord or property manager, or an employer.
  • Proof of employment: You will need to prove you are currently employed and the amount you are regularly paid. Usually you will need to provide your last two or three payslips.
  • Identification:: You will need to provide your passport or drivers licence as photo ID.
  • Fees and costs:: In New Zealand, tenants must pay what is called a letting fee, which is usually the equivalent of one week’s rent plus GST. In addition, usually two week’s rent needs to be paid up-front when renting to ensure you’re in advance, and a bond amount needs to be paid. A bond is usually the equivalent of four week’s rent, and is held in trust in the event the property is damaged at the end of your lease. The bond amount is returned to you if the home is in a reasonable condition.
  • Applying for a property
    When you find the right property, you will need to complete a Tenancy Application Form. You may need to provide photographic identification and verification of your current address.
  • Bond
    The rental bond is requested as financial protection should there be a breach in the tenancy agreement. Your rental bond will be lodged with the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority. The bond is held as security against any property damage, undue wear and tear or in the event there is money owing at the end of tenancy. Once it is established that all conditions of the tenancy have been met, the bond will be refunded promptly. The amount of bond payable is specified in the tenancy agreement. Please note, the bond required may increase where there is a rent increase.
  • Occupancy
    Only the people (and the number of people) included on your tenancy agreement are permitted to reside at the property on a permanent basis. Should a tenant wish to move in or out you are required to notify us in writing immediately. Please note, a new tenant will need to be approved through the application process prior to moving in.
  • Paying the rent
    It is your legal responsibility to pay your rent, to the Landlord in advance. Please ensure that your payments reach us on or before the due date. Harcourts Property Management will not physically collect your rent. Rent must be paid by the method stated on your tenancy agreement. If you have any problems with your rent payments please notify your Property Manager at the earliest possible time. If you fall into arrears, we will be obligated to follow the procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 to collect the rent on behalf of the landlord.
  • Inspections – Pre inspection and Routine Inspections
    A property condition report is used to determine the condition of the property at the commencement of your tenancy. It also ensures that you are not held responsible for damage at the expiry of your tenancy which may have been there prior to your occupation. You are required to make comment and additional notes, sign and return the document to our office. The document will be filed with your Tenancy Agreement and used as evidence of the property condition at the commencement of the tenancy.

    Routine Inspections will be made at regular intervals. The primary role of these inspections is to advise the owner of the condition and care of their property and what, if any, maintenance is required. This is an opportunity for you to point out any maintenance required at the property. Photos may be taken by the Property Manager during the inspection.
  • Repairs and Maintenance
    It is important when you notice a maintenance issue that you inform our office as soon as possible. This can be done using the maintenance request form and can be issued via email, fax or mail. Jobs requiring attention by tradespeople firstly require permission from the landlord.

    Once the Landlord's approval has been obtained, a work order is forwarded directly to the specific tradesperson, who will then be in direct contact with you to arrange a convenient time to address the approved maintenance. Please be aware that works carried out on the property by any person not approved under a work order from a Harcourts office may result in your liability to pay the account.
  • Emergency Repair
    We ask that you always try to contact your Property Manager first, however if it is after hours and you cannot contact the Property Manager, you are permitted to contact an emergency contractors directly.

    The legislation is specific about what constitutes an emergency repair and it's important that you know that should the issue not be deemed an emergency, you will be responsible for the account. An emergency repair is something that is likely to cause injury or which makes the property unsafe or insecure. (For eg. burst water service, serious leak, serious electrical fault).
  • Ending the Tenancy and leaving the Property
    Contact your Property Manager to discuss your legal requirements with regards to ending your tenancy as written notice periods will be required. Once the Property Manager has received/issued your 'Notice of Intention to Leave/Notice to Leave', they will contact you and advise requirements for handing over vacant possession. Once vacant possession is established (that is, all keys have been returned) a bond/final inspection can be completed.

    Please note: The bond will only be returned once it has been established that all rent is paid as required, the property has been returned in its original condition as per the entry condition report (excluding fair wear and tear) and all applicable invoices have been paid. Please note if you do not return the keys with the time frame we may change the locks to the property and you will be liable for the cost.
  • Breaking a Fixed Term Tenancy
    Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract. There is no obligation of the Landlord to release a tenant early from a fixed term agreement. If your situation changes please contact your Property Manager to discuss the options that maybe available.

If you are a first-time renter, you may be concerned about proving your rental history. Don’t worry, the main things your landlord and property manager will be looking for are your ability to meet regular rental payments, take care of the property and meet the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

To find out more, visit Renting Frequently Asked Questions.